Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Vista32 is up and running!

I just got my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, and got it set up on the Quad. I had been refusing to buy Vista until SP1 came out, so when it did I went ahead and upgraded. Most of the installation went smoothly, but there was one hitch.

I have a DLink DWA-552 Extreme N wireless card set up on the Quad now and when I tried to install the v1.3 Vista drivers I got a hard lock up. I had been very clever or so I thought and had downloaded the Vista v1.2 drivers as well so I tried those. Same result. Hard lock.

A quick search of the forums on google showed a lot of other people having the same problem. Figures.

Ironically the fix for this problem is to use the v1.11 XP drivers. So that is what I am running on now. I hope that DLink will address this problem soon. It is crappy to buy a nice piece of hardware only to have the experience ruined by crappy drivers.

Oh well, it's working now. I'll get Crysis set up later this week and run some benchmarks so we can compare performance to XP. I don't expect to be pleased :( The price of progress.

No comments: