Monday, January 14, 2008

Overclocking, SLI, and Crysis

Ok, so the first thing I did once I got everything working was fire up crysis. I have not played it much yet so I was really excited to see how it looked.

It looked like a slide show. 10fps. Boo, how come my kick ass Overclocked, SLIed, bitchin computer would not run the game it was freaking built for. Boooo!

Ok, so I did not give up there. I searched the nets and came up with some things to try and make it better.

Here is how I was running the game:

1920x1200 with all high settings = 10fps, slide show

1920x1200 with all medium settings = 20-30fps, somewhat playable

1.) Install the Crysis 1.1 patch. On its own this did not do very much, but it's important later.

2.) Install the 169.28 Forceware Beta Drivers. This doubled my FPS. I was amazed. I went from an average of 30 to an average of 60.

I am going to have to go back to "High" Settings and see how those look. Also, it doesn't seem like you have to do anything to the profile to enable SLI, even though it looks like it is off.

Anyways I'll post some screen shots of the overclocking and the crysis performance soon!

I am running a conservative overclock of 2.8GHz right now, all I did was turn the FSB on up. No messing with voltages or anything. I am going to try to get it to do 3.2 at some point, but where I am now is freaking fast.

No comments: