Friday, January 11, 2008

What happend after I turned it on.

Ok, so the first time I hit the ON button it powered right up no problem.

LOL just kidding, I got a halt on floppy error. No problem, just a loose ribbon cable. I fixed that then tried to POST again.

This time no problem. So I set up the raid array and installed windows. Everything was going good. The PSU was kind of loud, but I could live with that.

So, once I got windows installed I loaded up the system drivers, updated windows, installed Crysis, and tried to enable SLI.

I say tried because I could not find the SLI control panel in the nTune application. It was not there. The computer could see both cards, and I was getting temp readings from both GPUs. So why couldn't I enable SLI?

I scoured the Internet forums looking for a solution. Everyone said the same thing, "reinstall the graphics drivers." Well I did this and it did not work.

After much trial and error I discovered where I went wrong. There is a very important, but almost never mentioned order to installing the system drivers on an nVidia system.

In order to get the nTune control panel to see everything you must install your apps in this order:

1.) Chipset Drivers and motherboard drivers
2.) Forceware Video Drivers
3.) nTune Application

If you install the forceware drivers first, then the chipset drivers, as I had done nTune will not properly recognize all of your hardware.

No comments: